The Specialist Nurse telephone, email, Live Chat, text, social media (including WhatsApp) and postal enquiry services are confidential between you and Prostate Cancer UK. If you contact the Specialist Nurses, you may choose to provide personal information which will only be used for the purposes of dealing with your enquiry, and providing you with support and information.
We may also collect additional information such as age, gender, location (captured only at regional level), contact issue and ethnicity to monitor service usage and ensure our services are accessible to as many people as possible. We also use anonymous information provided in the call for research purposes to better understand the impact of prostate cancer in the UK.
This information is stored securely on our database and is not shared with any third parties. This information will be recorded anonymously unless you provide personal details for the purposes of your enquiry. You may choose not to provide this information.
Sometimes, a Specialist Nurse may have another health professional listening in to a call or observing a conversation for training purposes. This would be explained to you at the start of your conversation, and if you would prefer the other person not to be present, please tell us.
If you need to conduct a call in another language, an interpreter from a translation services company with whom we have a confidentiality agreement will join.
Any personal information provided will not be passed on to anyone else without your explicit consent, except in exceptional circumstances to comply with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) code of professional conduct or the law. Examples of this might include children contacting the service reporting abuse, anyone reporting serious self-harm, anyone expressing the intention of harming someone else, or if a terrorist threat is reported.
Your personal information and details of the enquiries received are stored on a secure database, the content of your call is processed separately from other data provided to the charity and can only be accessed by the specialist nurses. If for any reason, you wish to have your personal details removed from our records, or if you wish to amend your details, please contact our Data Protection Team:
Our full charity privacy statement can be found here: https://prostatecanceruk.org/about-us/terms-and-conditions/privacy-statement
- Prostate Cancer UK’s Specialist Nurses aim to provide a professional and confidential service offering impartial, evidenced based information on all prostate conditions.
- The service user can expect to receive support and information from an experienced health professional, who will aim to respond sensitively and effectively to their enquiry.
- Our Specialist Nurses aim to improve the well-being of service users, empowering them to make choices for themselves, or support for family, friends and loved ones affected by any prostate condition. They will aim to explore sensitive issues with service users and will do this with respect, care and without personal or professional judgment.
- Prostate Cancer UK’s Specialist Nurses will treat your contact as confidential unless there is a risk of serious harm or abuse to you or someone else, in which case, we may have to pass this information onto a third party such as the emergency services.
- The information provided by the Specialist Nurses is not a substitute for professional care and should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. Our Specialist Nurses will not give advice or opinions, either medical or personal.
Prostate Cancer UK will not tolerate any unacceptable and inappropriate behaviour directed towards our Specialist Nurses. In the event that this occurs you will be informed that your telephone call or Live Chat or WhatsApp will be terminated, and we can block service users from misusing the service.
During busy periods, you may be entered into a queue to speak to a Specialist Nurse. Occasionally, if all of our Specialist Nurses are still speaking to other callers after 10 minutes, you’ll be given the option to leave your details so we can call you back as soon as someone is available. Please note that you will not be given the option to stay in the queue after 10 minutes, so if you’d like a Specialist Nurse to return your call, please do leave a message.
With your consent, calls are recorded and monitored for training purposes. This is an important part of maintaining the quality of our Specialist Nurse service. All calls are kept confidential and are destroyed securely after 45 days.
Prostate Cancer UK is a UK-based charity, and the information and support we provide is based on health services in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.
We can take enquiries from outside the UK, but please be aware we can only give general information about prostate cancer or disease.
Contact with the Specialist Nurses is through a confidential telephone service on 0800 074 8383, which is free from UK landlines and mobile phones. We also provide support and information via our live chat and email services.
Contact with the Specialist Nurses is only through our confidential telephone service, which is free from UK landlines and mobile phones, our online Live Chat service, by email or social media.
Our Specialist Nurses are not able to provide face-to-face information and support.