What are the advantages and disadvantages?
The advantages and disadvantages of cryotherapy may depend on whether you are having it as a first treatment for prostate cancer or because the cancer has come back after another treatment. There is a higher risk of side effects if you have already had another treatment for prostate cancer.
- Cryotherapy involves less invasive surgery than some other treatments, with little blood loss.
- You will only be in hospital for a short time and recovery time is quick.
- Cryotherapy may be a treatment option if your cancer has come back after radiotherapy or brachytherapy.
- Many men who have cryotherapy have long term erectile problems following treatment.
- There is also a risk of other side effects which could affect your quality of life such as urinary problems and a small risk of bowel problems.
- We do not know as much about how effective the treatment is in the long term (after 10 or 15 years), compared with other treatments.
- Cryotherapy is only available in specialist centres in the UK or as part of a clinical trial.