Chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP) and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) are common, debilitating conditions, with 35–50% of men reported to be affected by symptoms at some time in their life (1,2).
In 2013, we commissioned some qualitative research to find out more about the experiences of men with symptoms of prostatitis and BPH. The research highlighted the need to improve how prostatitis is managed.
So, in 2014, we put together a Prostatitis Expert Reference Group (PERG) UK to develop a consensus guideline to improve the diagnosis and management of men with CBP and CP/CPPS. Due to the limited number of published RCTs, the PERG concluded that the guideline would benefit from a supporting web-based Delphi panel.
- provide guidance to healthcare professionals treating patients with CBP and CP/CPPS, both in primary and secondary care settings
- improve non-specialists’ awareness and recognition of CBP and CP/CPPS
- promote the efficient referral of care between non-specialists and specialists and the involvement of the MDT
- facilitate the improvement of patient awareness and recognition of CBP and CP/CPPS.
Listen to Dr Jon Rees summarise the main points of the guideline:
Download the quick reference guide of the guideline, which contains priorities for implementation and a treatment algorithm.
Download the full version of the guideline, which contains additional details about the methods and evidence base used to inform the treatment recommendations.
Dissemination of the guideline
March 2015 - open-access peer-reviewed publication in BJUI (accepted version before final proofs)
February 2015 – Quick Reference Guide on the BJUI website
January 2015 - article in Trends in Urology & Men’s Health
December 2014 – article in Guidelines in Practice
November 2014 – Pulse magazine ‘Guideline of the Month’
October 2014 – Pulse Clinical Casebook: prostate problems
September 2014 – article on GP online
If you have any questions regarding this guideline please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated: April 2015
1. Krieger JN, Lee SW, Jeon J et al. Epidemiology of prostatitis. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2008; 31 Suppl 1: S85-90.
2. Pavone-Macaluso M. Chronic Prostatitis Syndrome: A Common, but Poorly Understood Condition. Part I. EAU-EBU Update Series 2007; 5: 1–15.