This handy credit card sized leaflet gives basic information on prostate cancer and other prostate problems, including information on risk factors and symptoms. These cards are ideal for displays and events. Suitable for health professionals and organisations to help promote prostate cancer awareness. Winner of the 2014 Pocket Media Awards.
Last updated: June 2019
To be reviewed: June 2021
• Albertsen PC, Hanley JA, Fine J. 20-year outcomes following conservative management of clinically localized prostate cancer. JAMA; 2005.
• Allott EH, Masko EM, Freedland SJ. Obesity and Prostate Cancer: Weighing the Evidence. Eur Urol. 2013 May;63(5):800–9.
• BMJ. Acute prostatitis - Symptoms, diagnosis and treatment | BMJ Best Practice [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2019 Jan 4]. Available from: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/172?q=Prostatitis&c=suggested
• Cancer Research UK. Prostate cancer incidence statistics: Prostate cancer incidence by age (2011-2013) [Internet]. [cited 2018 Dec 12]. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/prostate-cancer/incidence
• Cancer Research UK. Prostate cancer incidence statistics: Lifetime risk of prostate cancer (2012) [Internet]. [cited 2016 Jul 6]. Available from: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/prostate-cancer/incidence#heading-Four
• Cao Y, Ma J. Body Mass Index, Prostate Cancer-Specific Mortality, and Biochemical Recurrence: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). 2011 Jan 13;4(4):486–501.
• Chapple C, Abrams P. Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS): Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS): An International Consultation on Male LUTS. Société Internationale d’Urologie (SIU),; 2013.
• Clinical Effectiveness Group - British Association of Sexual Health and HIV. United Kingdom National guideline for the management of prostatitis (2008). 2008.
• Coker TJ, Dierfeldt DM. Acute Bacterial Prostatitis: Diagnosis and Management. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Jan 15;93(2):114–20.
• Discacciati A, Orsini N, Wolk A. Body mass index and incidence of localized and advanced prostate cancer--a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Ann Oncol. 2012 Jan 6;23(7):1665–71.
• Ellent E, Matrana MR. Metastatic Prostate Cancer 35 Years After Sex Reassignment Surgery. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2016 Apr 1;14(2):e207–9.
• Emberton M, Fitzpatrick JM, Garcia-Losa M, Qizilbash N, Djavan B. Progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia: systematic review of the placebo arms of clinical trials. BJU Int. 2008;102(8):981–6.
• Gacci M, Eardley I, Giuliano F, Hatzichristou D, Kaplan SA, Maggi M, et al. Critical Analysis of the Relationship Between Sexual Dysfunctions and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Eur Urol. 2011 Oct;60(4):809–25.
• Gooren L, Morgentaler A. Prostate cancer incidence in orchidectomised male-to-female transsexual persons treated with oestrogens. Andrologia. 2014 Dec;46(10):1156–60.
• Häggström C, Stocks T, Ulmert D, Bjørge T, Ulmer H, Hallmans G, et al. Prospective study on metabolic factors and risk of prostate cancer: Metabolic Factors and Prostate Cancer. Cancer. 2012 Dec 15;118(24):6199–206.
• Ho T, Gerber L, Aronson WJ, Terris MK, Presti JC, Kane CJ, et al. Obesity, Prostate-Specific Antigen Nadir, and Biochemical Recurrence After Radical Prostatectomy: Biology or Technique? Results from the SEARCH Database. Eur Urol. 2012 Nov;62(5):910–6.
• Kiciński M, Vangronsveld J, Nawrot TS. An Epidemiological Reappraisal of the Familial Aggregation of Prostate Cancer: A Meta-Analysis. Little J, editor. PLoS ONE. 2011 Oct 31;6(10):e27130.
• Kirby M, Chapple C, Jackson G, Eardley I, Edwards D, Hackett G, et al. Erectile dysfunction and lower urinary tract symptoms: a consensus on the importance of co-diagnosis. Int J Clin Pract. 2013 Jul;67(7):606–18.
• Lloyd T, Hounsome L, Mehay A, Mee S, Verne J, Cooper A. Lifetime risk of being diagnosed with, or dying from, prostate cancer by major ethnic group in England 2008–2010. BMC Med [Internet]. 2015 Dec [cited 2015 Nov 5];13(1). Available from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/13/171
• Molokwu CN, Applebaum JS, Miksad RA. Detection of prostate cancer following gender reassignment. BJU Int. 2008;101(2):257–257.
• National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Lower urinary tract symptoms in men: assessment and management. NICE Clinical Guideline 97 [Internet]. (modified June 2015); 2010. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg97
• National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Prostate Cancer: diagnosis and treatment. Full guideline 175. 2014.
• National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Suspected cancer: recognition and referral. NICE Guideline 12. June 2015, updated 2017. [Internet]. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng12/evidence/full-guidance-65700685
• Perez-Cornago A, Appleby PN, Pischon T, Tsilidis KK, Tjønneland A, Olsen A, et al. Tall height and obesity are associated with an increased risk of aggressive prostate cancer: results from the EPIC cohort study. BMC Med [Internet]. 2017 Dec [cited 2017 Dec 1];15(1). Available from: http://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-017-0876-7
• Public Health England. Prostate cancer risk management programme (PCRMP): benefits and risks of PSA testing [Internet]. GOV.UK; 2016. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prostate-cancer-risk-management-programme-psa-test-benefits-and-risks/prostate-cancer-risk-management-programme-pcrmp-benefits-and-risks-of-psa-testing
• Speakman M, Kirby R, Doyle S, Ioannou C. Burden of male lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) suggestive of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) - focus on the UK: Burden of male LUTS suggestive of BPH. BJU Int. 2015 Apr;115(4):508–19.
• World Cancer Research Fund International. Continuous Update Project report: Diet, Nutrition, Physical Activity and Prostate Cancer [Internet]. 2014. Available from: www.wcrf.org/sites/default/files/Prostate-Cancer-2014-Report.pdf