1:00 Learning hours
Side-effects & management
A Basic Introduction to Prostate Cancer
This module is a basic introduction to prostate cancer: what it is, how it is diagnosed and treated. The module is ideal for professionals new to their role, as well as student nurses and healthcare assistants.
When you have completed this module, you will:
- Be able to describe the location and function of the prostate gland
- Be able to name the risk factors for prostate cancer
- Gain an understanding of the tests and investigations used to diagnose prostate cancer
- Gain an understanding of the stages and grades of prostate cancer and associated treatments or management
- Gain an understanding of the impact of side-effects from treatment.
We would like to thank Emma Craske and Meg Burgess, Specialist Nurses at Prostate Cancer UK, for authoring this content.
Prostate Cancer UK would like to thank Sharon Clovis, Prostate Clinical Nurse Specialist; Helen Johnson, Uro-oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist and Hazel Brodie, Director of Healthcare for their guidance and expertise when peer reviewing the content of this module.
Date produced: October 2016
Date due for revision: October 2018