What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Treatment in hospital with temporary brachytherapy takes just one or two days.
- It delivers a high dose of radiation direct to the prostate gland so healthy tissue nearby only gets a small dose of radiation and therefore is less likely to be damaged and cause side effects.
- Recovery is quick, which means you can usually return to your normal activities within a week of treatment.
- It can cause side effects such as urinary, bowel and erection problems.
- You will need a general or spinal anaesthetic. See the section 'What does treatment involve?'
- If you require more than one radiation treatment you may need to stay in bed for at least six hours between treatments whilst the tubes are in your prostate. Some men find this very uncomfortable. See the section 'What does treatment involve?'
- You may need to stay in hospital overnight.
- It may be some time before you will know whether the treatment has been successful.