You might have several different tests to find out whether you have an enlarged prostate. You may not have all of these. Your GP may do some of these tests, but you might also need to visit a doctor who specialises in urinary problems (a urologist) or a specialist nurse at the hospital.Some of these tests are described below.

  • Your GP may ask you about your symptoms and how they are affecting your life.
  • You might have a urine test to check for infection.
  • A blood test might be done to check your kidneys are working properly.
  • You may be offered a prostate specific antigen (PSA) test.
  • Your GP might do a physical examination, including a digital rectal examination (DRE).
  • You might be asked to urinate into a machine to measure the speed of your urine flow. Men with an enlarged prostate tend to have a slower speed of urine flow than men who don't.
  • Your doctor may examine your stomach area using an ultrasound scan. This will build up a picture of your bladder on a screen and help the doctor work out whether your bladder is emptying properly.

Depending on the results of these tests, you may have further tests to find out what is causing your symptoms.

Read more about an enlarged prostate.

You can read more about how an enlarged prostate is diagnosed in our booklet, Enlarged prostate: A guide to diagnosis and treatment.