What are the advantages and disavantages?
An advantage for one person might not be for someone else. Talk to your doctor or nurse about your own situation.
- HIFU has fewer risks than surgery, so it might be suitable for men with other health problems.
- You only need a short hospital stay - less than 24 hours.
- HIFU may be an option if the cancer comes back after treatment with external beam radiotherapy (EBRT). This isn't the case with all treatments.
- In the UK, HIFU is only available in specialist centres or as part of a clinical trial.
- Compared with other treatments, we don't know as much about how well HIFU works in the long term.
- As with other treatments, there is a risk of side effects including urinary problems and erectile dysfunction.