There are a number of different tests which can be used to find
out whether you have prostatitis. The tests vary for the different
types of prostatitis, but will include some of the following:
- Your GP may ask you about your symptoms and medical problems
you have had in the past.
- You might have a urine test to check for infection.
- You might also have a blood test.
- Your GP might do a physical examination, including a digital
rectal examination (DRE), to
see if the prostate it swollen.
- You may be offered a prostate specific
antigen (PSA) test.
- Your doctor might take a prostate fluid sample to check for
infection. The doctor will massage your prostate gland by inserting
a gloved lubricated finger into your back passage (rectum). They
will then take a sample of the fluid from the tip of your